Istock 515672638 1200x500

International Travel Protocol

The University requires travel registration for all University-related international trips taken by faculty, staff, and students. In addition, proof of registration will be required for expense reimbursement by Notre Dame for all international travel.

Effective July 1, 2022:

  • All faculty, staff, and graduate students traveling abroad on University-related travel must register their travel in advance and attach their confirmation email to their Concur expense report in order to receive expense report approval and reimbursement.
  • All University travel should align with local health and safety guidelines.
  • All high risk University-related international travel is subject to review. For University requirements and process for student and employee high risk travel, please visit the High Risk Travel page.


What does the University consider international travel?

Any travel that takes faculty, staff, and students to destinations outside of the country in which their University work/studies is based, is considered "international" travel.  

What is University-related International Travel?

All travel by University of Notre Dame employees and students to an international destination that has any or all of the following characteristics:

  • Is funded wholly or in part by the University;
  • Is for educational, research, or business purposes; or
  • Is related to the traveler’s affiliation with the University.

Some examples of University-related international travel include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Travel for conferences
  • Travel for research affiliated with the traveler’s position at the University
  • Travel resulting in work that will be considered for academic credit or is otherwise related to a student’s program of study or degree completion
  • Travel for a University recognized study abroad program
  • Travel organized by a University faculty member or employee
  • Travel organized by a University registered student group
  • Travel as part of a University varsity athletic team

Please note that this does NOT include:

  • Personal travel (such as vacation); or
  • Travel to one’s home country unless any or all of the criteria outlined above apply.

Register Your Travel

More Information on Travel Policy Requirements

International Travel Registration FAQs

Can I register an international trip on someone's behalf? 
No, this is not possible at this time. 

Are there instructions on how to register international travel? 
Yes, please visit the faculty and staff travel registration page. 

Who do I contact if I have questions about registering university-related international travel?
Please contact

Who do I contact if I have questions about my Concur expense report?
Please contact your department's business manager.